Thursday, October 30, 2014

Learning from something unexpected

Hey there. Yep, I'm still here. I haven't figured out how to fit in the blogging lately. Between drafting, querying, and the whole living life, it's been a struggle. But my blog is still here, and hopefully soon, I will make some changes and liven it up. One thing that happened is I'm going to be a part of THE BEST OF VINE LEAVES LITERARY JOURNAL 2014. To be released December 1, 2014. How? I don't know. I'm honored to be a part of. I think I'm still in shock over it.

It's nice to have things come unexpectantly. It keeps me going.

We have to learn from the little things that pop up. It does something to us, helps us grow. Sometimes we don't realize it till later. Over the past few months, I've been contemplating and debating on where I fit in in the writing world. I've said in past posts, I was always focused on one way to get to be published. Recently, I've been opening up to other ideas. Let's face it, my work (so I've been told) isn't sellable or just not the right fit. The subjective thing. It's not the story or the writing, it's simply not the time. The luck isn't there. I've become more of a patient person through this crazy world, but still, the waiting isn't the easiest. Publishing is a snail pace process. The thing is there are other avenues. I was so blinded by my one-way-for-me path, I never considered them. So like I said, other roads are looking a little bit more inviting. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop querying agents. It means I might try another direction on a manuscript that isn't working in the traditional path.

A couple things are sealing that thought and making me learn that I need to do what is right for me. If one door closes, open another. So here's what happened.

One: I've been watching Sonic Highways on HBO. It's Foo Fighters and how they made their recent album. Each week they go to a different recording studio to record one song for their album. They discuss the music history of that city. Last week was Washington D.C. They  went to Dischord Records and interviewed people who started that label and what went into it. The thing is they didn't care about what the big guns thought, they did what they wanted to do and started something as well as exposed people to bands that would've never been heard. They did their way. Handmaking album covers and recording in a house in the burbs. It was about getting the music to the public that wanted to hear it and exposing it to those who may have never gotten a chance to hear.

Two: My daughter has been writing little stories and books for a while now. She recently wrote a story in her journal. Her confidence and the sheer proud look she gets on her face when she talks about it is mesmerizing to me. I get happy watching her write her acknowledgements, summary, and her just going through the whole process. Today, she asked to make copies for her friends, which we did. It made me realize that you can do it yourself. She is so into what she did, she wants to share it. She's not worried about what anyone says (at least not yet). It's hard not to get caught up in her enthusiasm.

If you believe in something that much, who cares what the others think. There are other ways to get our work out there. So what, if it's not the in thing. I get that this is a business and with that money needs to be made, but for those stories that need to be told and waiting for the right time may never come. Keep writing and strengthening your craft, make it the best you can and share it with the world. I don't know where my stories will be or if they will ever be in print, but I have options and I plan to keep that in mind. I also will keep my eyes open and learn from those places I never thought would influence me.

So what's new with you guys?

What are your plans with your manuscripts?

Have you learned from something you didn't expect?

Have a great day!!