Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Trying to beat down fear.

Fear. Everyone fears something. You can't tell me you don't (if you don't tell me how). I have typical fears--fear of heights, spiders, the monster in my closet . . . See where I'm going with this. But I also have the fear of failure, rejection, blah, blah, blah. Heard it before, right?

As writers, we have tons of fears. Some of us can hide it better than others. When I first started this journey, my lack of "experience" made me, shall I say, naïve. So, I found myself more confident than I probably ever been. As time went on, and I gained more knowledge and experience, confidence started fraying and even breaking off to catch the breeze. It's odd, but something that I need to catch again.

It's not that I can't take the heat, I'm scared out of my skin to get back out there. Fear of rejection and that anything I produce is never perfect (yes, perfectionist here) is mostly the problem and it's freezing up my brain. I sit down to write and can't. It's frustrating and annoying. So I need a kick in the tushy. That's right, my tushy. I need a huge slap in the face to get motivated. To push through the blockade that's keeping my creativity hostage. Because lately, I've barely made baby steps. I'm trying to revise, and to be quite honest, I think I'm making the dang story worse (over revising possibly). I need to stick to something, ignore the internet and all opinions, and kick some story writing butt.

So give me your motivations. Your advice on pushing through and sticking to it. And how to scare the fear out of you.

Have a great day!!

3 comments:

  1. As a fellow perfectionist, I understand your fear.
    Here's your motivation - there is a story in you that only you can tell and someone's life will be changed when they read it. But if you don't write it, that will never happen.
    Now, get writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No agent or editor is expecting the manuscript to be perfect when they receive it. Because there WILL be editorial revisions. ALWAYS.

    What you want to do is spark their imagination -- make them say, "I want to work with this story, these characters, this writer."

    So, be yourself and tell your story. Get it out there.

    As for the over-revising, when you find yourself playing with the same few sentences over and over, taking out words, putting them back in, etc ... you're done. Once you've reached that level of micro-managing, you need to let go of it.

    While you're still working on big blocks of text, changing scenes, addressing dialogue and motivation -- keep going. You're not done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would have to say, for myself at least, that a kick or a slap isn't going to do it. here's what i wrote to myself because i'm worried about how my story is going to turn out:

    -- I can write a good story.
    -- I write like I write.
    -- Black Heart doesn’t have to be perfect, or stunningly better than Eldala.
    -- God HAS NOT called me to write like anyone else. He wants me to WRITE LIKE ME.

    ReplyDelete